Saturday, August 1, 2009

Army-man talks

I was on diwali vacations when my manager called me up to reschedule my plans and 'manage' an early return to work. Within a day, it was a futile exercise searching for train reservation. So I contacted a travel agent to arrange train ticket for me. Although I was annoyed with the abruption, but there was a sense of pride citing the purpose of the journey.

It was 23:30 when the train departed (as per schedule!). I wasn't feeling sleepy. Wanting to read something, I did not want to disturb others' sleep (especially if they were burping). Luckily, there was sufficient light being transmitted through the glass door. I leveraged this opportunity to solve AIMCAT question papers. There was hardly enough time to practice during work hours. The weekends were also swallowed up by the consolidation of programs at office.

Busy solving questions, I noticed a military personnel arriving with a cellphone in his hand. He greeted me and confirmed if he could charge his phone using the socket installed there. Interaction with these people is a luxury for us civilians. I thought it will be a good learning peeking into his psyche. I obliged him and then our conversation started.

"Are you a student ?", he enquired. "No, I am working at a Software Services company", I replied.

I asked him, "Are you going to Kashmir?". "Yes, Kupwara in Kashmir", he replied.

Unable to stop my inquisitiveness, I spurted "Are you in BSF ?". "Army", the one word answer deeply entrenched with pride followed.

He continued, "I am coming from North-East. Government has decided to withdraw the forces and deploy us in J&K for upcoming elections."

I tried to apply my knowledge, "There were blasts in Assam yesterday". I was confused about the exact day.

"Today", he corrected me. "Some of the local people don't want to allow immigrants from other states to settle there. It were these people who initiated the development in Assam. Now that the infrastructure is better, why should they go away ?", he queried.

I had nothing to say except, "Why is the situation not under control ?"

He expressed his frustration,"We are restrained from taking any offensive action. Sometimes, terrorists walk freely in front of us and we can't do anything. I wonder why we were recruited".

I was apalled though many would have agreed with him.

With an intention to deviate I asked, "What about the Sixth Pay Commission ?"

"We can't accept lesser salary as compared to civilians whose govt. job involve minimal risk. We have to travel extensively at such a short notice. Though we enjoy on the whole, the destinations are too strange sometimes. It involves sacrifices on the personal front. The department is refusing this month's salary in protest. Soon, we will be granted the wishes.", came a determined and assuring reply.

He retorted candidly to my questions. Really, an armyman speaks out unequivocally.

No comments:

Post a Comment